The CHERISHED Life of Heather Leigh

Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Fixin' ta

Hey, did you know that Barack Obama is fixin' ta assume the presidency of the United States?

That's what George W. Bush said in his LAST press conference as President of the United States yesterday...

(referring to a lunch he had earlier with Carter, Clinton, Bush Sr., himself, and Obama)... "we've all experienced what it means to assume the responsibility of the presidency. And President-Elect Obama is fixing to do that."

Yes, he used the phrase fixin' ta. In an official presidential press conference. His LAST presidential press conference. Fixin' ta.

Except the transcript of the press conference on whitehouse.gov was kind enough to add the "g" at the end of fixin' and to spell the word to with an "o". But I listened to it on NPR, and there was definitely no "g" in use by dubya, and he did not say to, he said ta.

Not that there's anything wrong with the southern phrase fixin' ta. Heck, my own roots is in the south, and I'm no stranger to the saying (not that I use it).

I just didn't expect to hear it in a presidential press conference.

That's all I'm saying.

Did I mention it was his LAST?

Now, if ya'll will excuse me, I'm fixin' ta scrap.

No comments: