The CHERISHED Life of Heather Leigh

Monday, August 27, 2007

Aww Shucks

I received a phone call from a friend on Saturday morning who told me how much reading my blog has had an impact in her life, and she just thought I should know. WOW! Really? I had no idea she was even reading the blog (I mean, I know that I sent her the link, but I've sent the link to a TON of people who probably aren't reading it.)

When I asked her what about it was making an impact she just said that it has made her realize that she needs to live more in the moment and have a better outlook on her life, and most importantly it has inspired her to find herself again. You see, after 3 kids as a stay-at-home mom, she feels like she has lost touch with who she is as a person.

I think that many moms are in her shoes, whether they have one kid or seven, and whether they work outside the home or stay at home. When you have kids, it's SO easy to put them and your husband, and your house, and your yard, and your church, etc. first, ALL before yourself. And when you do that, there's nothing left for mom.

I for one, have never had this problem. I often put MYSELF first. Some people might say it's because I'm selfish. Others (like me) might say it's because I recognize that a happy and fulfilled self makes for a happy and fulfilled mommy, resulting in a happy and fulfilled home.

Don't get me wrong. I have my less than happy moments. I have said to my kids (more than once), "I used to be a very nice person....BEFORE I had kids". (childish, I know) But, I can honestly say, I've never lost sight of who I am. For that, I am grateful.

And to my friend, who inspired this self reflection, I say thanks. And in response to MY being an inspiration to HER, all I can say, is Aww Shucks.

1 comment:

Kim said...

I will say that you have inspired me too! I took Heather to her 1st Day of High School/Orientation yesterday and just felt honored to be the one with her on this special day. I of course took pictures so I immediately came home and scrapbooked this event. This is the 1st time I have ever done that.

Thanks
Kim :)