The CHERISHED Life of Heather Leigh

Friday, May 9, 2008

1 in 115

That's how many pregnancies result in a stillbirth, which is defined as the intrauterine death and subsequent delivery of a developing infant that occurs beyond 20 completed weeks of gestation. (A loss prior to 20 weeks is termed a miscarriage or "pregnancy loss".)

Why would I know or even mention this obscure fact? Well, unfortunately my sister-in-law just lost her baby the other day at nearly 40 weeks gestation (she was due sometime this month). They went to the hospital yesterday so that she could be induced and then have to labor & deliver a still born, full term baby. I can not even imagine.

So, I googled the topic for some advice on what to say or what to do and I came across this statistic. 1 in a bazillion is too many. 1 in 115 is WAAAAAY too many.

During my googling, I found an organization called The Missing Angel Foundation which is an organization to help fight stillbirth, the destroyer of dreams. We will make a donation to this organization in the name of their Missing Angel, which I think would be a great way for us to show our love and support to Brian & Tara.

Words won't take away their hurt. Flowers won't bring their baby back. Even a donation won't ease their pain, but maybe it will help spare others in the future.

All I can tell them is that I'm sorry. Deeply, unbelievably sorry for their loss.

And, while I KNOW that life isn't fair, it doesn't stop me from saying or feeling like this is really way way way unfair. Cruel. Horrible. Painful. Unjustifiable. Nonsenseical. Unfathomable. It's just. not. right. Period.

My heart breaks for them right now.

Please keep them in your prayers.

2 comments:

Kim said...

Heather~

That is so sad. What is going on these days? Too many people trying to get pregnant that can't and this whole stillbirth, destroyer of dreams!

I can't even imagine!

What a great foundation you found.

Kim

Queen of her Castle said...

Oh that is just so sad. I feel for them. I pray that they will find comfort and peace.

Becky