The CHERISHED Life of Heather Leigh

Tuesday, June 17, 2008

Just trim it

This is what I say every time I go to the salon (a.k.a. Di's basement). Recently, I had decided to only trim it every other trip in an attempt to grow it out long. And, of course, all one length (translation: absolutely no STYLE to it whatsoever). Believe me, it was indeed getting long. I figured, at 35, this is probably the last year of my life that I can get away with "long" hair. And, I guess I liked it well enough for long, straight, all one length with-no-style-to-it hair.

But, last night, I found myself in Di's chair, and instead of saying "Just trim it," and without any premeditation whatsoever, I said to her, "What would you do with my hair if it were your hair?" She explained that she would do an angle bang and cut some layers to frame the face but still leave some length to it. I replied, "Go for it." Yes, I gave her free reign to do as she pleased…or at least to do what she had just explained to me that she would do.

And it's cute. But it's short. And I haven't had bangs in 72 years.

When Jordyn saw it, she immediately said "Ewww! I like you better with long hair!" And she said it right in front of Miss Di. Oh.yes.she.did.

I got home and said to Kev (with his back to me as he was washing dishes), "I had my hair cut and Jordyn's first response was Ewww!" He turned around. An intrigued smile came across his face as he said, "I like it. I really like it. I would have noticed. It's short. But, I really like it." Grin. Grin. Grin. And we both said at the same time, "It's just hair." Might I add that he cuts his hair and grows it out all the time. He's had more hair "styles" over the last 10 years than I have.

I went upstairs to say goodnight to the boys, and asked them "Do I look any different?"
Owen smiled and nodded his head yes. So, I asked him, "What's different about me?" And he said, "Your hair looks like Amy's!" Which I thought was funny that, at four years old, he was able to compare me to someone with a similar hairstyle. (Let's not forget, though, that earlier that day, I showed Owen the cover of Kevin's most recent Maxim magazine with Marisa Miller on the cover and asked him who that girl was and he said, "You, mommy." To which I responded, "That's right, honey.")

Liam told me I didn't look different at all, except that I cut my hair here, here, and here. Call me kooky, but getting your hair cut here, here, and here usually results in a person looking different.
However, I must not look THAT different, because not one person at work has even mentioned it to me. But then again, I work with a bunch of guys and they don't have the superior powers of observation that we ladies do. Either that, or they hate it and are following the old adage…"If you can't say anything nice, don't say anything at all."

It doesn't matter. I like it well enough for layered with some length to it, angle-banged, frame my face, STYLED hair.

Since I've had requests from as far away as Germany and as close as Burdick Street and others in between, here are some photos.

Here is me before the cut:


Oops, wrong picture.
Before the cut:

After the cut (and after a LOOOONG day at work):

9 comments:

~Amy said...

That is so cute that O said it looked like mine! I only wish mine looked like that, too many layers for me right now, but like you said "It's only hair"

I really think yours is cute and I think you'll have fun with the style. I always fight with that...having long "sexy" hair that doesn't do much or having a shorter "mom" cut with more style !!

Kim said...

Okay, you MUST post a photo!

Amy must have seen you since then because I am not seeing a photo?!

Kim

kid_curry said...

I thought the color was more different than the cut, and I liked both.

Mindy said...

I thought it looked great! You are experiencing "Hair Shock," a phenomenon that my friend Pam introduced me to in college when I got the most hideous short mullett right smack in the middle of the era of Big Hair.
I still cringe when I see pictures of me in that haircut but I appreciated putting a name to the Hair Shock condition so that I could treat it like the truly serious emotion that it is.
It's not "just hair," it's sitting there on your head telling the world something about who you think you are.
Very serious stuff, and should be treated as such. And treated with an appropriate cure such as lots of discussion about it and maybe having ice cream.

Anonymous said...

Pictures, please!!

Anonymous said...

I have to see this new cut it sounds cute.

I always love readingyour bloggs, I had alot to read today I was that far behind. As usual very entertaining.

Heather Leigh said...

Since I've had requests from as far away as Germany and as close as Burdick Street and others in between, I've posted some photos.

~Amy said...

Still totally *hot*

xxxxx said...

Love it! It's sassy! :)